Friday, October 24, 2008

Our One Green Pumpkin


If you have been keeping up with this blog, you might remember that we had a pumpkin patch this year. It was so exciting because the leaves were getting so big and we had a ton of flowers. Well, then we started to get some pumpkins. Every couple days we would check them. The three pumpkins we had all rotted. Well, one was hanging from a vine that had grown over the fence, and because of the weight of the pumpkin, it fell off. I have a feeling because we were so open to the outside world that some critters might have been part of the blame. Also, we discovered (probably too late) that the sprinklers were not hitting the pumpkin patch! So they were not getting adequate water.

So about three or so weeks ago, we were going to pull the whole patch out because we had nothing growing. As Steve was doing this, he found our little pumpkin. So we decided to let it go. Today I pulled it out of the patch. It didn't get much bigger than when we had discovered it, and it certainly didn't turn any other color! I pulled the patch because the frosty nights have caused the whole patch to wilt and die. I figured it wasn't going to grow anymore.

We learned our lesson...keep them fenced in and make sure they are getting water! I think we can do better. There is always next year!

No comments: