Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekend Getaway


Above: Steve's first time skiing/Below:Tanner


Logan above, Ella below

Leslie going down with Claire

This weekend we went to Roscommon, Mi with our friends the Szalk family. They have a family "cabin" (and by cabin I mean beautiful 3 bedroom ranch in the woods) near Higgins Lake. They have two little boys around the same age as Ella and Claire. Ella and Logan have been buds since Kindergarten, you know, they go way back. Claire and Tanner get along well despite their very strong personalities. We took the kids tubing on Saturday which was going to be our main event of the weekend. I didn't get pictures of this because I wasn't sure how I would have my camera with me while going down the hill. Especially since a kid was going to be on my lap. Claire and Rose did not weigh enough to warrant rides down the hill solo. It was super fun, and everyone had a blast. Ella just took charge of herself and her tube and was up and down the hill over and over and over again. She went face first, hooked to our tubes, and solo. Claire was happy riding with me or Steve and Rose enjoyed the wind in her face...well most of the time. There was that one time that so much wind hit her face, and it was accompanied by some snow as well, and she had a hard time catching her breath, but she got over it.

Sunday we were planning on heading home after lunch but there was some talk of taking the kids skiing. Many plans were thought up about this. First we were just going to skip it and go home. Then the Szalks were going to take Ella and we were going to take Tanner home. Then the big kids could try skiing and the little kids would go home. When Claire got wind of this, she through a fit. She wanted to go skiing as well. Tanner was also under the assumption that he was skiing. So that was that, the preschoolers won. We all went skiing. It was a great place to try it out because it was very inexpensive. I stayed back and took pictures because Rose is just too little to ski. Steve took Ella and Claire. I was so surprised at how well Ella did on the hill. It was her second time down the hill that she was able to stay up on her own. Claire needed help down the hill. Logan was also a quick pro to skiing. Overall, it was a great day. MINUS THE RIDE HOME. Rose cried probably about 90% of the ride home. The ride was 2 and half hours long. Rose does not like long car rides. The ride up was not much better. I swear, I never want to get in the car with Rosalie again.

No comments: