Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Monster Ella

Ella's hitting, pushing, and kicking is out of control. When she does it, she gets an automatic time out. The other day, she hit her very best friend Aiden. He wouldn't play with her. We told her that was going to happen when she hits, people won't be friends with her. So yesterday, after she whacked Claire, I told her the next time she did it, she would be in her room and she would loose her little beloved stuffed animals (she takes them places, she loves them very much) for seven bedtimes. (that is how we measure time in our house) Well today she pushed Claire and lied about it. Unfortunately for her, Claire tells me when she has been pushed or hit, now that she can talk. Ella knew she was in trouble. She got the room time out for almost an hour, and I took her animals away. When I took them away, in her brattiest voice she said to me, "I don't care that you are taking them away." Ok, so I lost my cool. She then lost the TV and got yelled at big time. Deep breathing, lots of deep breathing was had after that, and that is why she was in her room for almost an hour. Now if she does it again, she will go back in her room, she will loose more things that she loves, and her life and mine will be hell. I don't know what else to do. She used to be so sweet and now she is a monster. I reminded her that the little boy in her preschool class almost got thrown out of preschool because he hit all the time. She remembers because she got hit by him. I told her mean girls grow up to be mean adults and they go to jail. She didn't like that.

When she doesn't get what she wants, she hits or kicks or pushes. When someone gets in her personal space or is in front of the tv, she lashes out. It's awful. I really miss the old Ella. Any suggestions for parents who have possibly dealt with this before, please send them my way. I am being very consistent and I am assuming this phase will end someday.

She has been instructed to use her words when there is a problem. And then if that doesn't work than she has to come get a grown up. We have been telling her this for a while now, I just hope at some point it sinks in. I am so FED UP WITH HER!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Ava's been going through this too. She gets frustrated and lashes out at Quentin. I think it's the age and you just have to stay on top of it. I once went through a stage where there was nothing left to take from Isabella. I made her write letters of apology (even though she was only 3). I wrote the letters on a piece of paper and she had to lay another sheet ontop and copy the words. then we read it together and she had to give it to the person she hurt.